In four weeks, Toronto’s 2019 budget will be presented, including details on funding for implementation of TransformTO. Members of the public can make a deputation at Budget sub-committee meetings at four locations across the city on February 7 and 11, or submit comments in writing. This is an important opportunity for residents to share their views regarding investment in the TransformTO plan.
For details on the 2019 budget request for TransformTO, read the briefing note prepared by city staff here.
The recently released greenhouse gas inventory shows that progress is being made to reduce Toronto’s emissions. But we need to re-double the effort – accelerated action is required to achieve the 2030 target of 65% reduction and avoid dangerous climate change.
As the City of Toronto’s climate agency and a co-developer of TransformTO, TAF strongly supports sustained funding for implementation of this plan in order to achieve the mid and long-term carbon reduction targets adopted by Toronto City Council. Our submission to the Budget Committee has seven key points:
- Priority focus on deep retrofits in buildings is critical, along with clear metrics
- Investment to accelerate electric vehicles needs charging up
- City resources should be leveraged to expand financing for low-carbon actions
- Resourcing community engagement is central to achieving results
- A robust communications plan is urgently needed to support engagement
- Declining funding trajectory is a concern as 2030 target looms
- Presentation of City-wide TransformTO investment would be useful
See here for details on budget meetings, opportunities to join the conversation, and how to make a deputation.