The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Working Group at TAF is an employee-led initiative seeking to advance the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion at TAF.
- Value diversity. Understand that diversity is a strength and that teams work best when the people within them are diverse in both background and approach.
- Be respectful. Respect each individual’s right to express and present themselves relative to their religion, culture, ethnic background, sexual orientation, gender-identity, age, and physical and mental ability.
- Empathize. Consider the perspectives of others and understand that people may look at things in different ways.
- Communicate with care. Use non-discriminatory, inclusive language and consider how your language choices might impact others. The value of your message is determined by the receiver, not by the sender.
- Don’t assume. Focus on the capability of an individual without assumptions or labels. Avoid imposing harmful viewpoints or opinions onto others. Allow others to speak for themselves.
- Ask informed questions. Take onus to learn about different diversities. Refrain from asking leading or misguided questions. Understand that individuals have the right not to answer questions, especially if it may cause them to reveal information that they feel is personal or sensitive.
Equal by 30
In 2019, TAF became a signatory of the Equal by 30 Campaign. Led by Natural Resources Canada, the Equal by 30 campaign is a global effort under the international Clean Energy Education and Empowerment (C3E) Initiative that aims to close the gender gap and provide insights on the inclusion of women and under-represented groups in the clean energy workforce.