Impact Investments Account Manager
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Job Term: Permanent, Full-time
Compensation: Manager Level $55,000 – $65,000 + Benefits
Application deadline: March 17, 2017
Targeted start date: May 1, 2017
TAF innovates and advances practical, policy and financial solutions to reduce urban carbon emissions.
Decarbonizing our cities will require new technological, policy and financial solutions and action at all levels of government. While focused on the GTA, TAF is working with stakeholders across Canada to identify, implement, and replicate policies and programs with the potential to dramatically reduce urban emissions.
TAF has an exciting opportunity to work on practical low-carbon solutions.
TAF was established 25 years ago, and has a $45 million endowment which is invested in a range of asset classes. As a leader in “impact investing”, the majority of our portfolio is aligned with our mandate. Reporting to TAF’s Vice-President, Impact investing, the Account Manager will support the origination, due diligence, structuring and approval of new investments, and the administration tracking of performance and impact of the investment portfolio.
Customer Relationship Management and Investment Administration
- Ongoing relationship management, addressing the client’s financing needs and representing TAF’s policies
- Accountable for credit and investment underwriting, portfolio monitoring, investment renewals and annual reviews
- Documentation (hard and soft) and day-to-day administration of investment transactions from start to finish (i.e. intake, due diligence, approval, deal closing, repayment process)
- Identify and support the development of potential sources of transactions, co-financing and due diligence partners with a focus on investment opportunities within TAF’s specific areas of interest (e.g. energy efficiency, building efficiency technology, transportation, waste to fuel)
- Support the development and negotiation of investment strategies and terms (including innovative structures, rates of return, repayment methods, security/collateral specifications) that are consistent with TAF’s guidelines and risk/return requirements
Due Diligence and Market Intelligence
- Conduct in-depth due diligence of potential investment opportunities including analysis of project viability, financial statements, repayment capabilities, and collateral
- Provide financial, industry, economic, and other analysis and insights to facilitate decision-making
Monitoring and Reporting
- Monitor all investments including financial performance or impairment, GHG impact, diversification, risks and other factors influencing the portfolio investments
- Flag challenges and recommend escalation or action
- Prepare regular status reports to staff, Investment Committee and Board regarding investment performance and impact, business development, and other key issues
- Maintain and manage the investment database
- BComm, BBA, or equivalent
- Sophisticated financial literacy including understanding of corporate financial statements, privately-held companies, early stage ventures, commercial real estate, private equity, and financial sector dynamics
- At least seven years of experience as a lender/credit underwriter or investment account manager in a commercial or merchant bank, venture capital, private equity or equipment leasing firm, or similar organization
- Familiarity with financing of renewable energy, alternate energies and energy efficiency a clear asset
- Highly skilled in using spreadsheets, pivot tables and presentation software
- Demonstrated capacities in undertaking sensitivity analysis and crafting scenarios
- Good knowledge of financial markets and trends
- Engineering background and business valuation skills an asset
How to Apply
Please provide a cover letter expressing your interest in the position, along with a resume.
This should not exceed four (4) pages combined. Combine both items into one PDF document, named as follows: Last Name_First Name_PositionTitle.
Applications will be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must be submitted by 5 pm March 17th, 2017.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process please contact Jaime at email@example.com
- We appreciate your interest in this position, but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis. Applicants are advised that the position may be awarded in advance of the March 17th application deadline; please apply at your earliest convenience.
- Applications will be kept on file confidentially for a period of time after the selection process is complete.
- Misrepresentation or failure to disclose accurate information will result in your disqualification from this or any of TAF’s future job selection processes.
- TAF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
- TAF offers a competitive benefit package, a vacation allowance of 3 weeks plus extended year-end office closure, and flexible work schedule.
- Occasional regional travel may be required.
Toronto Atmospheric Fund invests in urban solutions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution. We achieve our mission by:
- listening to local communities and offering support through our community grants program;
- collaborating with a broad range of stakeholders to realize common goals, understanding that clean air and greenhouse gas reductions benefit our health, our economy and the sustainability of our city; and
- financing entrepreneurs whose product or service can significantly cut emissions in the GTA, and developers and property owners who are making their buildings more energy efficient.
Our ultimate goal – reducing Toronto’s GHG emissions by 80% by 2050 – informs all our actions. This target isn’t simply another milestone. It’s our vision for a climate-smart city that functions within its environmental means and is a leader among climate-friendly urban centres around the world. Achieving the ambitious 2050 target of lowering emissions by 80% will benefit everyone. We can realize a livable, prosperous city that embraces the green economy – a city where people spend less time commuting, spend less money on energy costs and the fallout of extreme weather events, and breathe cleaner air.